Just as you look to liven up your indoor living areas, you’ll undoubtedly look for ways of adding color to your backyard entertaining space. Pops of color add visual interest to a back yard, which naturally tends to have a considerable amount of greens, browns, and other earth tones.
Fortunately, there are plenty of options for adding color to your backyard entertaining space. In fact, there’s really no reason you’re any more limited outside than you are inside. Below are some outdoor decorating tips to help you see the potential for a vivid backyard living and entertaining area.
Tips to Make Your Back Yard More Colorful
- Place potted plants. You can add color with flowers, of course, but don’t overlook the pots themselves; buy some colorful ones!
- Buy outdoor furniture with colorful cushions.
- Put colorful throw pillows on your outdoor furniture. If your seating area is covered, you have all the same options as you would inside; otherwise, colorful outdoor pillows are also available.
- Put up a colorful sun umbrella for a big pop of color and added protection from the sun.
- Lay a colorful tablecloth on your backyard table when dining al fresco or offering your guests a buffet.
- Place an outdoor rug with color and a pattern. Not only does it add visual interest, it also helps delineate different sections of your outdoor entertaining space (e.g., by setting off the seating area).
- Consider using colored lights when adding outdoor lighting to your back yard so you can even have some varied hues at night.
- Hang outdoor curtains or other fabrics from your pergola or other structure for more color and increased privacy.
- Paint the ceiling or rafters of your covered patio.
- Install colorful garden sculptures or other outdoor-appropriate artwork around your backyard entertaining area.