If you outfit and upgrade your home exterior with an eye toward selling it in the future, it’s helpful to know the outdoor amenities that are desirable to home buyers in Florida. They may not all add more value than their cost, but many do; and even those that don’t still have a way of making a home seem more appealing to the majority of potential buyers.
So, when you’re thinking about your next exterior project—whether adding something new or just looking to improve upon what you already have—keep in mind these outdoor amenities that are desirable to home buyers in Florida. It can be a good way to prioritize, and it should provide further reward with a faster sale some day at a higher price.
Outdoor Amenities Florida Home Buyers Want
- Accordion-style hurricane shutters for easy storm prep and a safer home
- Hurricane or impact-resistant windows, as an alternative to hurricane shutters
- Ample exterior lighting in the front and back, as it’s both practical and creates a greater sense of safety
- An outdoor kitchen or grill station for taking advantage of Florida’s year-round outdoor cooking and entertaining weather (and to help avoid heating up the house in the summer)
- A paver patio or deck, also for enjoying the Florida weather
- A pool is a highly desirable amenity to many Florida home buyers, but be aware that it generally doesn’t add as much in value as it costs, and there are also plenty of people who will not want a home with a pool (due to maintenance needs, safety concerns with small children, etc.)
- Sun protection out back, whether from a covered patio, cabana, gazebo, or other amenity
- An irrigation and automated watering system for easier yard maintenance
- Large areas of mulch, pebbles, shells, pavers, or other materials that reduce lawn care needs
- Shade trees that help keep the home and yard cooler